Overcoming Barriers to Engaging with Families
Date & Time:
Open discussion with parents and carers when there are welfare concerns about a child often
provokes anxiety in practitioners. Professional challenge is part of good child protection
This course aims to equip leads and practitioners with the skills and knowledge base to
work more effectively with families where there are barriers to engagement.
• To increase practitioners’confidence in having difficult conversations.
• To understand some of the barriers to effective communication between
• To increase the confidence and ability of practitioners to challenge one another.
• To equip attendees with the skills to cascade this training inhouse
By the end of the course participant will:
• have analysed the impact on themselves and others of difficult conversations
• have demonstrated increased their confidence in talking to parents and carers
about welfare concerns about children
• have demonstrated increased knowledge and skills to support them in
professional challenge in an inter-agency context
• Have demonstrated increased knowledge and skills in gaining informed consent
from resistant families
• Have demonstrated increased their confidence in supporting staff in having
|Restriction||Available||Applicable to you|
|Local Authority: Public Health Nursing||No Limit|